Tuesday, March 06, 2007

27 Days and Counting -- 1500 Miles for Multiple Sclerosis

Hi Y'all!

Today I tried the "Harry Wiggins Trolley Trail" for the first time. It is a bike/pedestrian trail running through Kansas City, covering just a bit over six miles. In total, including getting to the trail and back, I rode about 14 miles this morning. Hopefully I'll have time to do it again tonight, to round out a typical training day of 25-30 miles.

The Trolley Trail is built on the old city trolley tracks and is named for Missouri State Senator Harry Wiggins, who passed away a few years ago. I worked with Harry in the senate many years ago; in fact, he was my first friend there. He was a character with deep flaws, but a much deeper heart. He was extremely proud of the fact that he had received his first political appointment from Bobby Kennedy. He also liked to take credit for helping me get my first job with the senate, which may or may not have been true. But who cares? Harry was an awfully good man who served the state to the best of his ability (including the fact that he never missed a vote) for decades. As a friend, former employee and former constituent, I miss him and was proud to ride on his trail this morning.

I will say, though, that I was not so proud to take two spills this morning. The first was just as I was getting used to the new bike. The second was when I hit a rut on the trail (one of the few I saw -- it is very well maintained). No, there are no significant injuries. There is no way to look cool as you are falling from a bike, though.

Have a great day!

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
www.SharingOurDays.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

2 Comments:

Blogger David Ball said...

Can you post some pictures? It would be great to see what the new bike looks like, and especially to see the terrain once you get going...

10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you've been able to bike outside, how much is the weather cooporating?

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home