Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My first day of fundraising...

Hi Y'all!

Over the next 60+ days, I'm going to do a lot of fundraising. My first real fundraising letter is going to Serono, the makers of Rebif, which I take for my MS. For those of you who don't know, Rebif is a drug I inject three times each week. It slows the progression of my condition and should help me stay healthy and active a lot longer.

I've just sent the letter to the CEO of Serono, Fereydoun Firouz (e-mail and mail), and pasted it below. I'm going to send at least one letter a day from now until the end of March (including a mass letter to pretty much everyone I've ever met in my life). I'll keep you posted as I send letters and receive responses.

Have a great day!

- sean

MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
www.SharingOurDays.com
seanspence@earthlink.net



Mr. Fereydoun Firouz
Serono, Inc.
1 Technology pl
Rockland, MA 02370

Dear Mr. Firouz,

I have Multiple Sclerosis, have used Rebif since being diagnosed in 2003, and I’m asking Serono to sponsor my 1500-mile bicycle trip in April – from Kansas City, Missouri to New York City – to raise money for MS research and treatment.

If Serono will provide the $12,680 cost of the trip (food, lodging and expenses for the team that will accompany me) then all other money raised will go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, their local affiliates along the route, and other nationally recognized MS organizations.

After that introduction, you might think that I’m an athlete and that physical activity is a run of the mill part of my life. Not so. Before deciding to make this trip several months ago, you would have been far more likely to find me on the couch with a pizza than doing anything that could remotely be called athletic. But I have decided to overcome my preference for laziness, and have been training for the last few months, riding over 200 miles every week, preparing to ride an average of 100 miles each day for three weeks.

Rebif is already part of what makes this trip possible – and I’m asking that Serono take another step in that partnership by sponsoring my trip.

Diagnosed with MS in 2003 and using Rebif from the beginning, I know the importance of the medical research performed every day by companies such as Serono and will use this trip to talk about that at gatherings along the route (covering six states). As you know, early treatment makes all the difference in the world for those of us with this condition. My trip will shed light on the realities of treatment and research, and will give hope to the thousands of people in every state along my route with MS.

Today, I am asking that you partner with me. Please pass this request to the appropriate person in your organization and we can talk about how we can work together.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Sean C. Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
www.SharingOurDays.com
seanspence@earthlink.net614-208-2608

1 Comments:

Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Hopefully, your political savvy ways will be useful in squeezing a bit of blood out of these turnips.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home