Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stay tuned, 75 miles...

Hey Y'all!

I'm up at 5 a.m. and preparing to ride 75 miles on my stationary bike. Can I make it? Probably, but the big rides I've been taking up to now have been 50 miles, so who knows? This will definitely be the farthest I've ridden is my life.

Training is going well, with my daily rides of 25-30 miles continuing. I was riding on the road as much as possible but the incredible cold and snow have posed a problem the last week or so. Certainly, regular reader Michelle in Alaska will tell me I'm being a wimp or something, but... okay, I'm a wimp. When it gets too cold, I'm just not going outside.

There are certainly differences between riding on the road and riding on the stationary bike, but I'm feeling good about the training regimen. Riding on the road requires a different kind of strain because your body has to keep the bike balanced, whereas the stationary bike stays up no matter what you do. The balancing factor, though, is that you have to pedal the entire time on the stationary bike, wherease you can coast on the road. Effort wise, it all seems to even out.

Anyway, here I go. I should be done in 5-6 hours. On my trip, I'll take a lunch break at 50 miles or so, but for training I'm just going to ride the 75 miles with only short breaks.

Tune in and see if I make it (between 10 and 11 Central Time). I promise I'll tell you the truth!

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
www.SharingOurDays.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

No way are you a wimp, you're just not aclimated...ok, if it's 30 degrees or warmer you may be just the tiniest of a "temp wimp" by Alaska standards (Ha-that's supposed to be funny), but you more than make up for it by mileage.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home