Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Day 8: The airing of grievances

I got honked at today by an Illinois driver for making a turn too slowly, and it reminded me of a pet peeve of mine I want to share with you all.  I always hear people complain things like, "Illinois drivers are terrible," or "Kansas Citians don't know how to drive," and the like, and it's just silly.  In my case, I was driving on foreign roads in foreign car (well, the car isn't foreign, Sean and I are Democrats after all, but it's not my car, so it's foreign to me) and I bet the woman who honked at me looked at Sean's Missouri plates and said, "Those darn Missouri drivers!" likely in harsher words.

The fact is, different regions have different driving customs and anyone driving on foreign roads is going to be a little confused.  No one region has good or bad drivers.  Each region just has drivers who are used to the way people drive where they live.  Stereotyping is never a good practice, even in diagnosing drivers.  So please, next time you want to categorize drivers from a certain region as being a certain way, remember that there may come a time when you look like a foolish driver and keep from stereotyping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home