Sunday, September 09, 2007

Day 6: from football to soap operas...an uncomfortable seat...and some missed disc golf

To clarify Sean's story, I took a shower after watching football and was flicking through the channels looking for something to watch.  I wrapped the towel on my head because I thought Sean would find it funny; the Soap Opera Network thing was just bad timing.

When we took one of our stops today I overheard someone talking about an Iowa bike trip where hundreds of people just ride their bikes across Iowa for no particular cause.  It was the second time I have heard someone talk about the trip, so it must be quite a big deal.

I also got on the bike for a bit myself today, and gained a new appreciation for what Sean is doing.  My legs didn't so much get tired, but those bike seats are not comfortable to say the least.  I probably rode 10 miles, and was ready to quit.  So I'm more amazed my Sean's commitment.

I skipped over a few disc golf courses the past couple days, but they were courses I've played a lot, so let me fill you in:

Albert Oakland Park (front/upper course), Columbia: A great course for beginners.  It's wide open with a few long, tricky shots.  But for a skilled player, 10 under par is not completely out of the question.

Albert Oakland Park (back/lower course), Columbia: This is one of my favorite courses, and I've played courses in at least six states and several courses in each.  It has a great variety of shots and a very active disc golf community so you can almost always find someone to play with if you can't find anyone who has a weekday afternoon free, as was sometimes the case when I was at school at the University of Missouri (a hyphenated Columbia optional).  On a typical day, I expect to score 1 or 2 under, but none of those birdies are given to you.  There are a lot of birdie holes and a lot of holes where bogey is a definite possibility.  It is well maintained and always fun.

Indian Hills, Columbia:  This course is only fun for skilled players.  It's heavily wooded, and it is difficult to make it through a round without getting at least one disc caught in a tree. Also, the garbage cans were recently removed, and litter is starting to pile up in places.  There are some really fun holes, though, if you are looking for a challenge.  Keeping my score below 5 over par is a good day for me there. 

Binder Park, Jefferson City:  This is my home course these days.  I play in a league there twice per week.  The course is only about 4 years old, and has some things that need to be done to make it a great course.  The local disc golf group is active, though, and is making improvements all the time.  The course just got cement tee pads (though they are undersized) and there are 6 more basket placements that are soon to come.  The layout is terrific, but it could use a mowing more often.  I only started playing this course frequently beginning this summer (my spring was ruined by a car accident that took out my left knee), so I don't have a typical singles score yet.  My best score alone is 2 over, but I mostly play best shot, and 5 or 6 under usually wins league night.

Tomorrow I plan to travel up to Quail Ridge in Warrenton.  I'll let y'all know what it's like and how my game is progressing tomorrow night.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home