Friday, September 07, 2007

Day 4: Lunch with Sue and Lupe

So, I've re-engaged after doing some work for State Rep. Jeff Roorda this morning, and the afternoon began with a pleasant start.

I've always been a believer that most people in this world are good and want to do good things. I've said to Sean that this trip is not restoring my faith in my fellow humans, but reassuring it in an incredible way.

Today for lunch Sean and I found ourselves at a restaurant that had food so delicious, it had more customers than seats. It was a blessing for us, though, because Sue and her mother, Lupe, were kind enough to let us join them. Sue had more letters in her last name than I can remember, but I do remember she was a secretary for the local church, St. Paul's if memory serves me right. And Lupe was a foster grandmother to some youths in town.

I'm actually writing this post from the Marshall Public Library, and in the office next to me it looks as if someone is interviewing to be the new librarian, which, coincidentally, Sue's daughter, a senior in high school, has talked becoming. It looks like it's much more than books, Sue. : )

Sue and Lupe's kindness knew no bounds, as Sue suprised us by picking up our check without us even knowing (she's so sly). Then, as Sean and I were getting his bike off the car, Sue and Lupe came up and gave us a memory card for Sean's new digital camera. We had made the mistake of buying one that held only a few pictures, and Sue said she had one left from her daughter's trip to New York, that could hold hundreds of photos.

We said thank you, but I wish there were stronger words. I say thank you when someone holds a door open for me or says "God bless you" when I sneeze; I have no idea what to say when a perfect stranger does this much. Sue and Lupe will forever be in my thoughts. I hope something good happens for them today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home