Friday, December 22, 2006

Heading Out for the Holidays

Good Morning, Y'all!

I'm about to hit the road for Columbus, Ohio, where the love of my life lives. Will I make time to train over the five days I'm there? I'm going to do my darnedest. On Sunday, I'm scheduled to do another 50 miles, and I'm committed to making that happen. I can already see my training time slipping away, ya know? Kind of like every other kind of time. It all just slips away and if we don't do things now, there may not be time later.

Yeah, I'll make time to train.

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
www.SharingOurDays.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean, I just read all of your posts, what a great goal! I'd be there with you if I could.

Have you gotten a bicycle yet? As a cyclist, I encourage you to get one as soon as possible. It's way different riding a bicycle for real than on a stationary bike, dodging rocks, wind, saddle sores, hills, glass, riding on dirt, sand, in the rain, vehicles, mechanical problems, etc. Also the fit to you body and sitting positions can be very different on a bicycle and a stationary bike.

Theres some really great books on Amazon on long distance riding which you may be interested in checking out.

If you don't have a bike yet, go to a real bike shop, which will set you up on the type of bike which will be best for you and your riding style and goals. Make sure you communicate with the bike people there and they understand what you are going to do and aren't going to try and sell you just any bike. Have then fit it to your body and make sure you can bring it back for adjustments if your wrists/back/knees/neck start to hurt.

It's best to get a bike ASAP and get it all tuned,fitted and broken in, so you know the bike and how it handles, long before your ride. You may want to look at getting a trainer, which you mount your actual bicycle on and train on that. Maybe look into clippless pedals and shoes, which transfer energy more effectly that flat pedals. Also if you train on the bike you are going to ride, you will get in the necessary "butt-time" required for long hours on a bike seat, which are usually quite different than on a stationary bike. There's no way around the butt-time, but padded cycling shorts and butt butter (yes, that is what it's called) help.

There's TONS of planning with this type of ride. You have got to have a support crew to follow you. Sounds like you are getting people lined up for that.

I enjoy you blog, I will be back!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home