Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sean's Day 8 -- Finally out of Missouri!

Hi Y'all!

Here are today's stats:

Miles ridden today: 75.64
Miles ridden, total: 398.79

I'm finally out of Misouri and should make it to Kentucky tomorrow, or no later than Thursday. Yay! Right now I'm one day behind, and could be completely caught up by tomorrow, but I'll need to knock off early to attend the party my mom is hosting in Madisonville. Small price to pay, really, for a great party, and I can catch up within the next few days. Yay!

Today, parts of the route were the best of the trip so far, and other parts were the worst. Isn't that how it always is? I swear, there was a hill outside Murphy that is the biggest hill in the history of hills. It was followed by about a million other hills, all in a row. I thougt I was going to die. I didn't complain, though, because I had just ridden like 20 miles that were completely flat and wonderful on a bike. I averaged 12-14 mph (even as high as 16 mph for long stretches) and thought I was in bicycle heaven. All things end, though, ya know?

Oh, I've been meaning to mention that I had a near-death experience yesterday. I was crossing the road, exactly where I was supposed to, but a woman wasn't paying attention, made the turn, heading right for me, and came to a screeching, slam-on-the-brakes stop about a foot from me. Literally, if the car had stopped two feet later, she would have smashed into me. I almost feel like a real bike guy now.

Tomorrow I'll hit the road early and get as close to Dixon, KY as possible by 2:30 p.m. Then, Bret will pick me up wherever I am and we'll spend the night at my mom's house, planning to return to the point we left the next morning and resume biking with no miles skipped.

The party should be fun. Look for details tomorrow or Thursday.

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Go, Sean, Go! I'm keeping up with you from Malawi. You're doing amazingly great! Have fun in good ole Madisonville. One question for the transporter: For those of us that are not familiar, what the heck is a disc golf course, and why are you so hooked??

11:43 AM  
Blogger St. Tony said...

Sean:

You are doing great! I got on my motorcycle to come to work this a.m. and thought, perhaps I should try the bicycle, especially with you being such a role model. Fortunately that thought quickly passed and I mounted my trusty 800cc motorbike and buzzed to work, somewhat content with the fact that I was saving the environment by not driving my gas-guzzling full-size F-150 !!

All jokes aside, you are proof that if you have the will, it can be done, and I have every confidence you will succeed - both in raising awareness of MS and your personal goals that you are accomplishing every day.

Best wishes.
Tony St Romaine aka St. Tony

3:03 PM  
Blogger Sean Spence said...

Hi Sadhna & Tony!

Thanks so much, both of you, for posting. It really makes a different when friends post or e-mail (or strangers, for that matter).

Sadhna, Kentucky is never the same without you. Be safe in Malawi. Don't eat anything that is still moving.

Tony, I'm sure that you can guess that, every day, I wish my bike were a Harley (or maybe a Ninja). But I'll leave the motorcycles to you.

- sean

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home