Thursday, September 13, 2007

Day 10: the story of day 9

I never did get an opportunity to post last night. I stayed in Sean's sister's room, and that end of the house doesn't get wireless, and by the time I got under the sheets, I didn't feel like getting up again.

I started my day playing the Campus Lake disc golf course at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. It's a short 9-holer with a couple of interesting shots, but not really worth the trip off the highway. Every hole is an opportunity for birdie except for hole three, unless you have a terrific right-turning roller. I only shot 3 under. The baskets sit about a foot off the ground, and it was hard to get used to. I would have like the play a second time because I know I could get 5 or 6 under, but duty called and I had to get back on the road.

Something I'd like to point out about driving in Illinois; below every sign we saw announcing our entrance into a new county was a sign saying, "911 for emergency cellular calls." Missouri is the only state in the country lacking a mechanism to fund wireless 911 service, and 17 counties in the state have no 911 service at all. I hope someday every county in Missouri can post the same signs.

It's always fun to see a friend's home town. I got a brief tour and a few stories last night on the way back from Doc. Love's. I got to hear a few stories from Sean's childhood, though one of his longtime friends didn't share anything I can use against Sean. Sean tells me he's squeaky clean.

At Sean's mom's party I got to talk with some great people. I sat for a while with a Vietnam vet and a WWII vet and we talked about the current situation in Iraq, and one was an orthopedic, so I talked to him about my ongoing knee problem. Then I got to met the former Vice-Chair of the Kentucky Democratic Party and there was some talk of politics and a little Mitch McConnell bashing. All-in-all everyone was great to meet. As Sean said when he spoke, these were the people who are responsible for the way he is today, whether they made him worse or better, they made him what he is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home