Monday, September 03, 2007

Oh my god -- it's tomorrow...

Hi Y'all!

Yes, tomorrow I leave for my trip. 1800 or so miles, from Missouri to Manhattan. On one hand, it does not seem real; on the other, it seems more real than anything I've ever done. Am I ready? Surely not. I don't think there is any way someone like me could be ready for this -- but I've been working hard and I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be.

Tomorrow morning at 7:30, I'll kick off the trip in St. Joseph, Missouri (just North of Kansas City). Yes, I'm totally freaked out. I won't lie about that. But that's part of why I have to make the trip. I have to.

For most of us, our lives are spent with others telling us we can't do things. Sure, I've been blessed with more encouragement than most, but there's always someone there to set limits on us.

We can't accept those limits.

For those of us with special problems -- Multiple Sclerosis, for example, let me assure you that the line of people ready to say we can't do something grows exponentially.

To me, that's part of the problem. There are people who are scared that this trip will weaken me, will take away some part of my life. But I choose to believe that this is the kind of experience that gives me life. The way I choose to fight my disease (along with those pesky three-times-a-week injections of interferon), is by pushing my limits, by refusing to accept that there are things I can't do. In the end, I may learn that I've been wrong. But I will have lived. I will have given all I can and experienced something bigger than me.

To me, this is what life has to be about.

Not to mention, I am going to look HOT when I finish this ride.

See ya.

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

This will be a great time for you, and I am looking forward to reading about your progress - as I'm sure many others are.

Be safe, and have fun.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To my dear old friend Sean, best of luck on this adventure. I have always been impressed by your courage and drive and I know you will not be deterred, by your condition, the length of the journey, or especially by any naysayers. I will be thinking of you on your journey! Post your schedule so that I can follow you.

Take good care of yourself, buddy.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I right there with you in spirit, Sean!!! May the wind be at your back,

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home