Sunday, September 23, 2007

Day 20: Night Rider...back to disc golf... old business

Sean rode throughout the night without a hitch and with a few fun stories. He's done more than 70 miles along Ohio State Route 7 since he left last night at around 9 p.m. EST. He's been sleeping for about an hour now (he's a heavy sleeper so if you want me to draw anything on his face shoot me an e-mail in the next couple of hours). I would have posted sooner, but I wanted to post a photo I took of Ohio's smallest church and since my computer crashed a couple of months again and I lost iPhoto I've been unable to upload digital photos and trying to download other picture services has been frustrating. My Mac and I don't get along sometimes.

But, back to Sean. We're in the aptly named Moundsville, WV. My cell phone has no signal, but Sean's is fine (but don't call him until 5 p.m. EST because of the sleeping). I scouted the route we plan to take into Pennsylvania and Sean's going to have his first real test of the hills. But the road, 250, looks safe and the bad hills only last for 15 miles before he turns into Pennsylvania and things flatten out for at least a little bit. His spirit is still strong and his night riding strategy is off to a good start.

As for me, I finally got back to some disc golf yesterday. The course was called the Mountwood Monster and it was in a state park somewhere in the West Virginia Hills. The first two holes were everything a disc golfer dreams of with tight shots and huge elevation changes. The remaining holes were decent, but kind of a let down after the glory of the first two holes. They were flat and all required a low, mostly straight shot. Further distracting me were the gravel tees. My driving style requires me to take 5 steps, which I couldn't do without slipping on the tiny pebbles, so I had to play from the grass, which was slick, too. Cement really makes for the best tees. The course was also poorly marked so I never knew where the next hole was, which slowed down my game and prevented me from getting into any sort of rhythm.

I've been meaning to blog about a couple of things the last week but they've slipped my mind when I'm typing. One: long time readers of the blog will recollect Sean trying some PowerGel per my request. Sean bought the banana flavor and found it most displeasing. I told him I'd try one just to be fair. Finally, earlier this week, we found the PowerGel again, but I got the vanilla flavor. It tasted just like cake icing! Sean later tried some vanilla and found it tolerable as well.

Two: Driving through the hills in Kentucky I saw some road sides that said "Fallen Rock." I understood that to mean the rocks had already fallen and were not a threat. I wasn't sure why I needed to know that probably decades ago a few rocks had fallen. Driving through Ohio, though, similar yellow diamond signs read "Falling Rock." This did concern me, as I was unsure if this meant I was going to have to drive on the highway like Han Solo drives through an asteroid belt. The present tense "falling," turned out to be inaccurate, though, as no boulders tumbled my way. Perhaps a sign should read "The threat of falling rocks is ahead" for the sake of accuracy, however, not for the sake brevity.

Three: A couple of restaurants we drove by in Ohio advertised "legal drinks." I wondered if that meant I could get absinthe at other bars. Sean asked a local and he suggested it meant they didn't serve hooch-- aka Moonshine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

face drawing...tempting...!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Don't forget to drink lots of water with the PowerGel, some people can get intestional "distress" if not enough water is drunk with the gel...not fun on a bike.

Good going, guys!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home