Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sean's Day 16 -- Don't ride in the dark

Hey Y'all!

Here's the latest update:

Ridden today (from the odomoter on my bike): 64.52 miles
Ridden, total: 765.75 miles
Driven, total: 75-85

Today was a good ride, and I was totally bummed that the dark prevented me from going all night. At one point, Bret and I talked about me riding at night, thinking that maybe the headlight on my bike would be enough (and using lots of reflective gear on the bike and on myself). I tried it for about 20 minutes and it just won't work. Setting aside the increased possibility of inappropriate interaction with another vehicle, all I'd need to do would be to hit one medium sized rock, a large crack or uneven spot in the road, or a roadkill raccoon and it would suddenly become a very rough night for me.

The only problem with today's ride was the heat in the afternoon (got up to 89). As you may remember, heat is a particular problem for folks with MS (it can lead to long-term damage to the nervous system). So we took about three hours off in tiny Peebles, OH -- a very exciting place, let me tell you. We spent much of the time in the local library, where Bret worked on the Internet and I worked on the book I'm writing about this trip.

This morning I received a very nice e-mail from my cousin, Sonya Rissler. Her husband is professional military, so they've lived pretty much everywhere and I haven't seen her in years. Sonya and I grew up together, seeing each other several times a year at family gatherings and she was always one of my favorites. This trip has definitely inspired me to remember those I love and who have been an important part of my life at one point or another, but who may not be around anymore. I'm going to try to reach out a little more. Nothing is more important than those who have brought love to our lives (family, friends, or whatever their roles may have been).

Tomorrow Bret and I will be back on the road as early as humanly possible. See ya!

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home