Saturday, September 22, 2007

From the road -- Riding since 4:30

Hi Y'all!

We got my headlight battery fully charged last night and I was on the road by a little before 4:30 this morning. Night riding is pretty cool. No traffic. Great temperature. And I don't sleep much, anyway (4-5 hours a night, usually), so it is working out pretty well. Unless some new problem arises, we've solved the "too hot to ride" problem.

Bret dropped me off and went back to the hotel to sleep (he is much smarter than I am). He's being very cool about the whole trip and is doing everything he can to make sure we succeed. He has turned out to be a perfect bike trip partner.

Bret's birthday was the day before yesterday, by the way. He is 24 now, almost able to rent a car with full priveleges. Almost old enough to run for Congress (look out Kenny Hulshof!).

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that we were pulled over this morning because it was so early and we crossed the yellow line a bit. I was all set to fake appendicitis or an in-car bee swarm, but we explained to the officer what we were doing (there were actually three police cars who stopped to check out these two shady characters) and he let us go eithout even checking our ID's. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if we'd been a couple of black kids instead of the two whitest men in America.

My headlight battery has been charging while I've been taking a break. Should be good for another two or three hours, until daylight; so I'll get back on the road now.

Take care!

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate

www.MissouriToManhattan.com

seanspence@earthlink.net
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

3 Comments:

Blogger Casdok said...

Never a dull moment!!
Keep going!

3:49 AM  
Blogger W.Churchill said...

Sean,
Just saying hello from me and Jane. Be safe. Go Tigers!

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean:
Been following your blog & admire your mission.

I also want to pass on Happy Belated Birthday wishes to Bret!

(He would be no threat to Hulshoff, though -- too liberal for the district.. He'd also have to move there, as he lives in Skelton's district!)

I'll be making a contribution to support your ride & would like to buy you and Bret dinner on the road to Manhattan (Nothing too fancy...).

I'll contact Bret via cell phone to arrange.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home