Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Day 1: Getting started

The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Somebody said that a long time ago, or it was put on a poster by the same guy who designed the "Hang in there" poster of the kitten holding onto the tree branch. Either way, it seems to fit here.

I chose the name "The Transporter" in the spirit of anonymous blogging. Anyone who has read this blog knows I'm Bret Bender, but I like to make remote references to Missouri politics that maybe 15 people will get. I did not chose the name because of my physical likeness to Jason Statham or anything; I'm not Jorgen Schlemeier (again, perhaps five people in the state know who Jorgen and Jason Statham are), I just couldn't come up with anything more creative.

The first day was full of things to learn. One: I just learned yesterday that Sean himself was diagnosed with MS in 2003. Two: I'm learning how to master a stick shift. (By Madisonville, I should be a pro.) Three: We learned that Sean really shouldn't be biking without a PowerBar and bottle of water on him. I've been lobbying Sean to get a CamelPak, which has a pouch for liquid and a tube that comes around for a straw, but Sean has been reluctant to purchase one. I told him if he doesn't want to keep it past the tip, I'd gladly take it off his hands, but still no movement on that front. And four: I learned that there are 150 mile bike rides for MS taking place all over the country this month. I have not, however, heard of anyone else riding 1,800 miles, or even driving that far to raise money.

Now that it has started, I'm looking even more forward to the trip. I got to hang out in Platte City for a bit today and can't wait to see all the other small towns we'll be going through. Our lunch at the T-Bone Restaurant was outstanding with prices I couldn't believe (because they were low). I'd recommend it to anyone meandoring along Highway 29 just north of Kansas City.

I'll check back with y'all tomorrow.

-tt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home