Monday, September 17, 2007

Leaving Radcliff, KY

Hi Y'all!

Just a few items as we get started this morning.

The big one is that we are definitely getting back on the road this morning. My ankle is not quite perfect, but it is good enough and nothing a bunch of Aleve won't fix for right now. We have a party scheduled in Washington, DC Sunday afternoon and our only chance of making it without any car help is to get on the road. So on we go.

I've been asked a couple of questions via e-mail that I'll answer now.

1. "Doesn't your butt hurt after all that riding?"
Yes, my butt hurts pretty much all the time. I'm convinced that the bicycle is a unique torture device that has somehow captured the subconscious masochist in many of us. Bret and I have actually been working out the kinks for an entirely new sort of bike seat that we feel pretty strongly will change the cycling world. Basically, the cyclist sits in a big bowl of jello (or maybe pudding -- this is one of the details we are settling). Not sure how it will work, yet, but we have plenty of time to think about it.

2. "I didn't know you have MS, how does it impact your life?"
I was diagnosed with MS in 2003. At the time, it was on the verge of getting pretty bad (and is MUCH better today). I have a vivid memory of standing in the middle of Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and realizing that I had essentially no feeling from the chest, down (kind of like everything was asleep, but I could still move). The thing about MS, though, is that symptoms often go away after a while. Sometimes they never do, but usually they go away in part or in full. Today I have a variety of symptoms that include periodic numbness, rare partial paralysis (that essentially leads to a limp), and a few other things. No one would know I have MS if I didn't talk about it -- but I believe it is important for me to do so because so many people have it so much worse (people in wheelchairs, people in a great deal of pain, etc.). MS is a lifelong, degenerative disease, so we pretty much know that I'm going to continue to get worse and develop more symptoms -- we just don't know how fast or what those symptoms will be. I choose to believe that it will all be rather mild, and I'm going to make the best of things, no matter what.

Have an awesome morning, everybody. I have some work to do and intend to be on the road by 6:30. Then I have a radio show (a political show in Kansas City -- 710 AM, at 7:10 a.m. every Monday morning -- I get to be the Democrat; the Republican, consultant Jeff Roe, and I try to beat up on each other), so hopefully I'll have decent reception on the road.

See ya.

- sean

Sean Spence
MS Advocate
www.MissouriToManhattan.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home