Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 15: Panera vs. Starbucks

AND IT'S PANERA IN A LANDSLIDE. Until this trip I really didn't have any beef with Starbucks. From what I've heard, it treats its employees well and it hasn't done damage to locally-owned coffee shops. But on this trip, I've learned that they do not offer free wireless Internet, which I figured would be a staple for that kind of business. You have to be a T-Mobile subscriber or something, and I'm not paying for the milk, when I can get the cow for free at Panera, who got my coffee and a muffin business because of its free wireless.

I further learned that Panera keeps soy milk on hand for those of us intolerant of lactose. Starbuck's drinks are all pre-made with cow-udder garbage that doesn't agree with me on any of the issues. Caribou Coffee is also good for the those inpatient of dairy's main enzyme, because they also carry soy milk in store. And I'd also like to give a shout out to Tazir (don't know if that's spelled right) at Coffee Zone in Jefferson City for always being ready with the goodness of soy on those few days I feel the need for a shot of caffeine in the morning.

I did, though, have to explain to the girl at that cash register here exactly why I was adverse to regular milk and she wanted to know what would I happen were I to attempt to digest the devil's formula. It's a conversation I've had enough times in my life now that I'm pretty comfortable sharing the gory details. I just don't understand why I'm looked at like an alien when I say I'm lactose intolerant.

I was also looked at like an alien today when I asked a waitress at Perkins in suburban Cincinnati if they offered wireless Internet. I read somewhere that Jay Nixon said he would try to bring to wireless to every town in the state: consider me fully behind that effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home