Saturday, November 18, 2006

Telling Montel about my trip

November 18, 2006



Mr. Montel Williams
The Montel Williams Show
433 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019

Dear Montel,

Like you, I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Kinda sucks, huh? But we keep going and life is pretty cool anyway, isn’t it?

It is cool. And we do keep going. And those of us who can do more have a responsibility to do so. That is something I’ve admired very much about you and the way you’ve dealt with your MS. You’ve set an example for the rest of us. Through your show and in so many other ways, you remind us every day to make the most of what we have.

In my own small way, I try to follow your lead. To the best of my ability, I live my life as an ongoing effort to remind others – and especially myself – that we must push beyond our limits, no matter what they may be or how hard it is.

With this in mind, I am preparing to ride a bicycle from Kansas City, Missouri to New York City. My primary goal is to show others that even a fat guy with MS can do something extraordinary. The trip will also be a fundraiser for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and I will solicit money from businesses and individuals along the route and nationally. On both fronts, perhaps my trip will impact many lives for the better.

No, I’ve never done this kind of thing before. I’m 36-years-old, more than a little overweight, and, to tell the truth, I get a little gaspy climbing more than four or five flights of steps. As of today, I don’t even own a bicycle. Just last week, I purchased a stationary exercise cycle and am training diligently.

By March, I will be ready for my trip, but I may have to wait a few months for job reasons. Either way, I will keep you posted. Hopefully, I’ll be able to score a ticket to your show – you can certainly count on me to try.

Take care, Montel, and please let me know every time I can be helpful. Thank you for all you do.

Sincerely,

Sean C. Spence

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home