Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Letter to Meredith Vieira, Today show

November 15, 2006



Ms. Meredith Vieira
NBC
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

Dear Meredith,

Like your husband Richard, I’ve been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

I want you to be among the first to know that I plan to ride a bicycle from Kansas City, Missouri to your New York City studio in either March or June of 2007 (I’d like to do it in March for National MS Week, but timing will depend on potential job changes). The purpose of the trip will be to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, as well as local chapters of the organization. To that end, starting in January, I’ll be soliciting pledges from individuals and businesses all along the route and around the country.

Now, I’m sure you are thinking that I’m an athlete or perhaps even a superhero of some kind. But no, I’m just an ordinary 36-year-old guy… kind of a fat guy, actually… and I have bad knees… and a bad back… and just a skosh of asthma. Jeez, I’m really kind of a mess!

Okay, all of those things are true, but I’m not a mess. As I said, I’m just an ordinary guy; and I know you agree that ordinary people can do extraordinary things. In fact, I think we MUST do extraordinary things and that is why I’m making my trip. People with MS – and pretty much every other kind of people – need to be reminded that we must find ways, must create ways, to rise above our limitations every darned day.

So I’m going to bike 1,500 or so miles and stop in for a visit there at Today. Perhaps we’ll get to chat, or maybe I’ll just wave through the window. Either way, I’ll keep you posted as I train and prepare for the trip.

Take care, Meredith, and please let me know every time I can be helpful.

Sincerely,

Sean C. Spence

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home